Tenwek is a 365 bed teaching hospital in the highlands of northwest Kenya founded by World Gospel Missionaries in 1937. The groundwork for Tenwek Hospital was laid in the 1930s and 40s by two nurses. The first doctor–an Asbury College graduate–arrived in the 1950s. In 1987 the hydroelectric dam, which serves a vital role as a consistent power source for the hospital, was completed. In the last 30 years nursing, chaplaincy, and residency programs have been started.
Since it’s founding over six decades ago, Tenwek has done tremendous work to bring Christianity to the highlands of Kenya, but there is need for ongoing discipleship of believers and evangelism to the unreached. The neighboring Maasai continue to practice a tribal religion centered on their cattle. The care they receive at Tenwek opens doors for them to hear the gospel. Additionally, Tenwek teaches African medical students and residents who live in community with the missionaries within the hospital compound.